Friday, June 02, 2006

My First Week as an Intern

My first week in Washington, DC was fun. I began my internship in the Executive Office of John Podesta at the Center for American Progress Tuesday, May 30, 2006. Tuesday, I went in and had orientation with all the other interns at CAP. After we returned from lunch we completed orientation and went to our various departments. At 3:30 PM we had an all staff meeting that lasted an hour and a half. I know I probably dozed off a couple of times because it was so cold and the meeting had absolutely nothing to do with the interns. The good thing about the meeting is once it’s over we celebrate birthdays and have cupcakes or cake. Around 5:30 PM the interns were suppose to have a meeting discussing any concerns they might have had with their departments. I think all of the interns were able to leave a little earlier than usual. The next day I went in, we had a speaker lecturing about technology, its impact and other issues concerning technology. This lasted from 9:30 AM until 11:00 AM. I went to hear him speak but left relatively early because the turn-out was wonderful and I didn’t have a seat. Shortly after his lecture ended we had another event about organizing and policies. I attended this lunch time series because I am interested in becoming a well-organized, proficient and ingenious leader that will make a vast difference in the years to come on NCCU’s campus. The session was very informative and interns from all over the capitol attended. Later on in the day I had some paper work to completed and some background information to assemble for the Board of Trustees meeting in June. Thursday, we did not have any events but I worked on an itenary for Mr. Podesta and other things that needed to be executed. I was able to read a little of the articles on CAPs website as well as CNN and the Washington Post. I have truly had an eventful week at the Center for American Progress. I honestly believe I could have not found a better suit for me this summer.

5 Comments:

Blogger ClioProf said...

Your blog looks good. Keep up the good work. Dr. Cox

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On behalf of North Carolina Central University, I wish you a productive and fun summer. This experience in Washington, D.C. is one you'll remember for a lifetime. Make the very best of this opportunity. You are a young lady with a very bright future. We are very proud of you.
Regina Alston
Director
National & International Fellowships
N.C. Central University

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Impressive Miss Mangum... especially the cake (lol) Thank you for your service to me, remembering me on Father's Day and I hope to work with you some day.

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

first i would like to say peace to the house...

I READ YOUR BLOG.. I HOPE EVERYTHING WORKS OUT AND THAT YOU MOST OF ALL ENJOY WHAT YOU ARE DOING BECAUSE YOU DEFINE YOU NOT A JOB OR A TITLE.. STAY GROUNDED IN THE HOUSE OF PRAYER....

1:05 PM  
Blogger Tha 704 Boy said...

I'm proud of you Meese. I'm happy to see you're enjoying DC...

2:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home